Friday 21 November 2014

Short Fiction Story!

I rushed into the school hurriedly. Late as usual, nothing new. I wondered how I got my scholarship but then I realized I had to be somewhere; I couldn't waste more time.

The building wasn't like the building I had imagined. The walls weren't decorated like a normal high school, it looked more like a military camp. The school was dull and shallow, everything looked dead. I wondered if I was in the wrong building but then again, it said "Washington State High School".  Maybe that's what a school should like, maybe the plain walls help the students focus more. I don't know, I'm in America; they know best.

I walked past the monotonous hallways, all the hallways looked the same; colorless and dead. The repetitious hallways were soul destroying. The students also looked mind-numbed by the insipid walls; they stared at me with hostile eyes, I smiled and walked. I didn't want to get in trouble in the first day so I kept a distance between the zombie-like students. 

I headed to an expansive room that had a projector in the middle and a man that looked like a teacher was lecturing all the students. I bustled to the other side of the spacious room and stood behind some chairs.
"As you all know, guns are allowed in the campus just in case of any emergencies. We all know about the shooting that happened last year; I hope the students are sane enough not to pull the trigger this year."

I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. Why on earth would a school allow guns? It was a high school for gods sake! A headache developed in my head because of thinking too much. Guns weren't even allowed for citizens in my country, how could a HIGH SCHOOL allow guns? 

While walking -and stumbling here and there- to the room I was assigned to, I tried to avoid eye contact as much as I could. As dead eyed people looked at me, all I could think about was that every single person here -except me- has a gun. I broke out in a cold sweat thinking about where I was stuck in for the next year.

 I opened the door of my dorm. A slightly muscular, fair skinned boy was standing in the middle of the room, as he looked up I noticed his green-grey eyes. There was one thing he had in common with all the other students here; they all had hostile eyes. 

He looked at me intensely, I felt as though his gaze bore holes in me. 
"Hey, I'm Ziyad. I guess I'm your roommate," I said as I felt a lump lodge itself in my throat.
"I'm Isaac and I wont shoot you unless you annoy me."
Such an auspicious way to introduce himself.
 "I've got a rule; stay out of my side of the room. I really don't mind shooting another person so play by the rules, understood?" he said, his voice serious.
And then it hit me. He wasn't humorous, he meant everything he said. 

I felt my stomach crumble as my heart started racing. The thought of sleeping with someone who had just threatened to kill me was petrifying. I couldn't sleep that night, I kept on replaying a scene in my mind; the scene where he might decide to kill me in the middle of my sleep. 
 ______________________

-Twitter: @BloggerFatema







No comments:

Post a Comment